Monday, January 28, 2019

Liberalism and Christian Universities

I never thought this would be an issue I would face or even ever hear about. That shows how dumb I am I guess.
Over the past several years, my thoughts and beliefs have been intentionally challenged by friends, fellow students, and professors at Lee University. All challenged with the same basic idea. Research and think. Know why you believe what you believe and understand/ expect the same from others. 
Lee is a Church of God institution which means it is a private christian university. On one side there are people who put me down because they think that I am "rich" and "an intellectual" capable of having a degree handed to me. They don't think about all the jobs I worked to pay my way and all the classes I failed in order to achieve my degree. Then there is another side. This side says 1 of 2 things. Either I'm a sweet and innocent (naive) little christian girl OR I am the biggest hypocrite to walk the face of the planet. I strive to be neither, honestly. These things I expected.
What I did not expect is the reactions I receive from many Christians. Some think its a great thing that I went to "That there Church of God school." Some think that the education has warped me into some liberal anti christ. Some say because I speak about understanding opposing views and supporting others in need that I am for the evil ways of this world.
I say understand the drug addict. They hear "Drugs are good." 
I say listen to the female seeking abortion. They hear "I support murder especially of babies."
I say accept the homosexual. They hear "Ignore and glorify all sin whilst having a drunken orgy."
I say God wants us to help our neighbors in need. They hear "Let all undocumented people in so that they can murder and spread their sin plants while taking our jobs."
I say fight against rape and toxic masculinity. They hear "all men are toxic and I am a feminazi."
Really the list goes on and on.
I just went through and found some scriptures. Not to fight anyone, but to support some things. There are christians out there that say I have become luke warm and am afraid to call sin what it is. Well, here ya go. I'm calling some hypocrites out on their sins....just like they asked. This is for those who believe your hatred is okay. I call this "being my brothers keeper."
Proverbs 18:2 A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.
Proverbs 14:29 Whoever is slow to anger has great understanding, but he who has a hasty temper exalts folly.
Matthew 25:35-40" For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothes me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me." Then the righteous will answer him "Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?" The King will reply "Truly I tell you, whatever you did for the least of these brothers and sisters or mine, you did for me."

I realize that these scriptures may mean little to those of you who are not believers. In that case, all I can ask is that you try to understand others. 
I am not asking for anyone to change opinions. I am asking that you listen to understand not to respond. 
Be kind to each other as Christ would.
Take care of yourselves and each other.
Love, A Schizophrenic


No comments:

Post a Comment