Friday, October 9, 2015

No laughing matter

  Today I heard about a girl around my age who tried to kill herself. First, she cut her wrist and then tried to hang herself. Long story short, neither worked so she jumped out a window. That is when her friends who were going to visit her found her. They dialed 911 and the girl was taken to the hospital. 
  I don't know what made the girl want to do that. Maybe she suffers from depression, or was going through a really tough time. What angered me about the situation was the way I heard others speaking. I heard things like, "Well, if thy're dumb enough to do it then let them." or "Bitches are crazy these days. They either kill you or kill themselves." These comments were said with a smile.
  Suicide and mental illnesses are no laughing matter. The girl tried to kill herself. She almost died and people are making jokes about it? That is not okay. I understand that some people try to make humor out of their own illness. Personally, I don't think it helps me and it certainly doesn't help fight stigmas. If people hear me laughing about my schizophrenia, then they will think it is okay for them to do so. Then, before we know it, there are people not taking any of it seriously or completely misunderstanding mental illnesses. Thanks to Hollywood I already deal with that enough. I try to be open about my schizophrenia, but sometimes people make me wonder if I should be ashamed of it. I've lost friends because people are afraid of me or think that I am going to kill them. They ask me how I am functioning with so many different personalities (DID is not schizophrenia) . I just look at them like they're stupid. Others ask me how often my moods change (bipolar disorder is not schizophrenia).
I don't really know how to wrap this up because I want to go watch a movie, but basically what I am saying is to watch how we talk about and treat suicide and mental illness.
                                                       Love, a schizophrenic

No comments:

Post a Comment