Sunday, October 25, 2015

The old man

  The sand felt smooth as I sifted it through my fingers. The sun was hot on my back and, as always in the south, the bugs were biting away at my legs. It didn't matter though. My set up outside was perfect for any 5 year old. I was having fun in my little sand box while I pretended I was at the beach. I practically was. All day I could play in the sand and when I got tired of that I could go jump in the pool. Just as I got tired of the pool Mama would call for us to come in and eat. This day, I had just finished my favorite lunch of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, chips, and lemonade. I made my way back outside to finish my mote around my castle.
  My brother yelled at me to move so he could do his stunt. His plan was to run and jump over the sand box and land in the pool. As I looked up, I saw someone from a distance. The man was standing in the habitat yards. I had never seen him before, but he looked right at me. I was creeped out by him. I kept playing and pretending he wasn't there but every time I looked up he would get a little bit closer. Then it got to where he was actually in our yard. My brother didn't even seem to notice him so I continued to pay the man no mind. I could see what he was wearing now. He was wearing a black tux, a red bow tie, shiny shoes, a top hat, and was using a fancy walking cane. It was black and the handle was a silver skull. How did my brother not notice this guy? Every time I looked up the man was getting closer and closer. I didn't even have to look up anymore. I could see him out of the corner of my eye and his shadow was over me. I saw him bend like he was going to put his hand on my shoulder. I moved away. I could hear my brother still playing in the pool as if nothing was going on. I looked up at the man. His eyes were a piercing blue. His beard was long and grey with some black and white. I slowly stood up, decided my brother was fine on his own, and made my way into the house. I didn't speak a work to anyone.
  I still see the man every once in a while. He has never said a word to me and I don't know who he is. He always appears from a distance only to catch up to me later no matter how fast I am or how slow he is. He hasn't changed any at all. I don't know whether or not to be afraid of this man. He has never hurt me that I know of, but something about him freaks me out. I can't help but watch him though when he is near. The strange thing? I have friends who have seen someone or something like him before.
                                            Love, a schizophrenic

No comments:

Post a Comment