Sunday, December 30, 2018

Demons and schizophrenia

I was going to finish writing about the awkward friend drama from this past semester, but something just happened that I want to address.
First , Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior. I have accepted Jesus into my heart. Second, I was diagnosed at the age of 17 with disorganized schizophrenia.
So here is what just happened:
I went to a church with my friend, Hannah. The church seemed great the 1st time I went last wednesday. They were all kind, welcoming, and obviously wanted people to be there. I told Hannah that I would love to go back.
Today, I went with her and her husband and another 1 of our friends. The worship was great. I tend to be a more quiet worshipper so while everyone else was dancing or raising hands while standing at the alter, I remained standing in front of my seat praising God. It was a longer worship service because The Holy Spirit showed up and began to move on people through out the service. Then, as things calmed a bit, one of the pastors began to speak. She lead through a prayer and into more worship for a few more minutes.
After the worship she began speaking about the promises and gifts from God. She started talking about generational curses being a foot hold for satan and his demons. So far, it all makes since. If a person has a weakness of drug addiction than they will probably be more tempted to use drugs when something happens. Then, she mentions mental illness. She said "depression and schizophrenia." Then began talking of demons causing those things.
I went to her after the service and asked to clarify what she meant. She was kind and not preachy. To clarify she did state that I'm still welcome at the church and she won't judge. This blog post is NOT to rip on her or that church. Through a rather 1 sided discussion, she basically stated that schizophrenia and mental disorders are demons and that medication destroys people. She gave personal experiences as proof for her opinion saying that she had been delivered from "a spirit of depression." She even talked about joy as if it were mere happiness. Joy is from God and is eternal because it is a characteristic of God. I can be sad and still have Joy. Happiness and sadness die on this earth. Joy is in God and therefore is eternal. It is not related to gray matter, serotonin or dopamine.
I left and walk home. As I was in the parking lot, Hannah caught up to me. Hannah seems to think I am being "demon oppressed." I told her I'm not mad at her. I just don't want to go to a church where people think I'm covered in demons.
I cannot believe that it is almost 2019 and there are still people out there that think mental illnesses are caused by demons. Mental disorder are just that. We don't tell the person with cancer or chrone's disease that they have demons so why would we say that to a persons whose brain (the brain is an organ) is simply working differently?
This message IS NOT TO THE CHURCH. This is for those of you that have been told the same thing and for those who think all Christians are so ignorant. I am here to tell you, yes demons exist but they aren't always the cause of these things. I'm.also writing this to tell you that not every Christian is going to tell you that you have demons. If you can pray and confess Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior you are not demons possessed and probably not even oppressed. Christians and non believers out there with mental disorders, keep praying. God may heal you on Earth, but he may heal you after you leave it too. Please don't let someones ignorance push you away from God. Hold your head high and keep fighting your battle.
If you are someone who agrees with that pastor's opinion, please educate yourself before you start trying to exercise demons out of people. Also, don't be confused in none come out. Its probably just someone with a mental DISORDER whose brain WORKS DIFFERENTLY. Some medication may help and other won't, but keep praying.
Love, A God worshipping, Prayer speaking, Jesus loving, JOYFUL, medicated, Schizophrenic.

No comments:

Post a Comment