Friday, September 11, 2015

9/11

Most of my post are along the lines of mental health schizophrenia or other mood/ psych disorders, but today is different. Today is a day of remembrance. I thought it necessary to write a post honoring what this day means to America.
I was in 3rd grade doing some classwork when a next door teacher came in and whispered something to my teacher. I noticed the horror on her face, but thought if it was something important she would let us know. Instead,we all just kept working. She tried to make things as normal as possible so we didn't panic about something we didn't really understand. I vaguely remember hearing her voice shaking as she spoke to us and said, "It is time to line up for lunch."
My parents couldn't come pick us up that day so we went home with our best friends. We walked in and the videos just kept playing over and over. The news people were talking about different ideas as to what really happened. At first they thought maybe the plane was being flown by a student pilot. Then they thought the pentagon was a military training incident. Finally, they figured out the truth. They even suspected more attacks all across the nation including Charlotte, a large city near home.
I remember for months seeing the faces of the heroes and the pictures of those that died. Everyone was trying to run down the stairs, but the firefighters and police were running up carrying equipment. Then, they'd run down carrying people. Thank you, all you heroes. The way strangers took care of each other amazed me. The patriotism that arose from such an event gave me hope for this nation. It always brings tears to my eyes. It is a shame that it takes something like that to bring a nation together. I saw strangers helping each other regardless of differences. I saw humans caring for other humans. I even saw a man running with his dog in his arms to protect it. It was a horrible day because I also saw people jump from windows because they thought they would have a higher chance of survival by jumping instead of going through the debris and flames. I saw surrounding buildings catch fire and disappear from the amount of whatever that stuff was. I saw American citizens, my people, harmed on their own land. I saw our protectors, our government, attacked. So much happened that day. I still cannot gather all of my thoughts. I can say that I will ALWAYS remember. God.Bless.America.
                                                                    Love, a schizophrenic

No comments:

Post a Comment