Wednesday, May 16, 2018

An old friend called today. She said that she needed some help and would pick me up in 15 minutes. Confused as to why she was anywhere near where I live now, I text her the address so she could gps. I got in her car 13 minutes later. I was happy to see her, but what help did she need and why did she not tell me she was in my state and when did she get a new car?
As soon as she opened her mouth all of my questions began to be answered. Starja began with "I met this guy." I thought I knew where this was going, but the more she spoke the stranger it got. "His name is Kennedy. We met at a bar and he said he could help me make money." I asked her if that is how she got the new car. She just sat in silence for a second before driving to the main road. "What I am about to tell you is...complicated." Starja was obviously shaken up. I noticed the bags under her eyes and all the empty water bottles in her back seat. Had she driven all night and day to get here? Why was she so afraid?
"Where is this guy?" I asked her.
"Last I saw, in Texas still. He'll figure it out soon..enough." She said.
"Figure what out?" I stared at her.
"That I'm gone....for good this time." Starja seemed to be getting frustrated. "I need coffee."
I pointed her to a quiet coffee shop near the old mill. When we arrived she finished telling me everything.
"He told me that I can make good money working with him. I get so tired, ya know? I fix people's cell phones for a living. I always thought I'd do more with my degree." She stopped to sip her coffee. I squuezed the tea from my hot tea bag as I contemplated where this conversation could be going.
"He made me pass a test first. Not like a job interview or anything like that. I has never done work like this before." She continued after a long pause.
"He made me run full sprint on a treadmill."
"You prolly kicked but at that, right?" Starja and I had played sports together since middle school. She could outrun anyone in speed and in distance.
"I did. He also made me do pull ups and push ups. Military shit. What they hell though, ya know? I beats the same old stuff every day." Starja seemed a bit more calm.
"He had me fire guns at all kinds of targets. He then said that he'd be in touch."
All of this sounded like some kinda MIB thing. We then went to Mama's Burgers and got actual food right across the street.
"Weeks went by before I heard anything. I came home from work to find him on my doorstep. He said he had a mission for me. That it was my only chance. If I pass than I'd be in. He didn't say anything when I asked him what'd happen if I failed."

This has been a long and extremely unusual day for me. I will finish this story soon. Just make sure you're always there for your friends.
Love, A Schizophrenic

No comments:

Post a Comment